Exploring the Health Benefits of Hiking
This entry was posted on November 29, 2016.
There are a number of reasons to love hiking -- the beautiful scenery, the fresh air, the refreshing smells and sounds of nature. But to top it all off, hiking is an excellent workout. Let’s take a look at how you can enjoy the great outdoors and improve your health and fitness at the same time.
Health Benefits of Hiking
Health officials say that adults need at least two and a half hours each week of aerobic physical activity. This type of activity must be at a moderate level, such as a fast-paced walk for no less than 10 minutes at a time. While walking is a great way to stay active, hiking can be even better for your health. This powerful cardio workout can:
- Build strength in your lower body
- Strengthen your abdominals or core
- Improve your balance
- Decrease your risk of heart disease
- Improve your bone density
- Help you burn fat and control your weight
- Improve your mood
Boost Your Hiking Workout
If you’re looking to get even more out of your next hike, try any of these fitness strategies.
- When you feel ready, try hiking a more difficult terrain. Gradually work your way up to trails with uneven ground or rocks, streams, and hills. Just make sure you wear waterproof hiking boots to keep your feet dry. The uneven terrain will improve your balance while an incline will boost your heart rate and increase the number of calories you burn.
- Fill your day pack with a little extra weight. Just 10 to 15 pounds on your back will help you build up your lower back muscles while burning 10% more calories.
- Try hiking with a pair of poles. When you dig the poles into the dirt, you use your upper body muscles to propel yourself forward. This gives your cardio workout a major boost. If you don't want to use hiking poles, try using a simple walking stick instead.
Safety and comfort are critical to a healthy workout. That is why whenever you go for a hike you have to have the right adventure shoes for your excursion. Hi-Tec has all the comfortable footwear you need, like lightweight boots, hiking sandals, and waterproof hiking boots for men and women.